Your Face Sounds Familiar
How was it doing a live show with big make ups?
Scary! This was live both in front of an audience and live to millions of viewers at home on ITV 1 on a Saturday night….
The biggest problem for us was the heat! The celebs themselves were obviously sweating with nerves, but also we experienced some of the hottest weather in recent history!
We used teeth ( fangs fx ) for matt as Freddie mercury, contact lens ( hand painted for some as its difficult to make brown eyes blue ….as in Natalie Anderson doing Katy Perry) Major prosthetics, especially for xander Armstrong as both
Pavarotti and subo, and lots of wigs for nearly all celebs every week as well!
We were also being filmed as we did the make ups with sometimes two crews in the make up room filming us adding to the pressure, and the body heat!!
To add fuel to the fire, we had mega quick changes on dancers, with as many as 12 dancers to change both wigs
and costume in 3 minutes!
What make up tips could you offer having done one series?
1. keep calm
2. Sweatstop by Michael davy works well under prosthetics.
3. Bend your eyelashes around a fat make up brush before you apply as they fit the eye better, and let the adhesive dry for at least half a minute, they then stick better.
4. Keep your artist cool and hydrated and calm!
5. Cologne and hand fans are a must on hot days ( we put eau do cologne on a chamois with water and dab it on the pulse points , wrist and neck)
6. Prep is all………..
7. A small nose tip prosthetic can make a huge difference. I didn t originally think we needed a nose on matt Johnson for elvis, but Kristyan Mallett, a prosthetics designer did, we went ahead and it made a big difference, although it wasn’t that big in itself.
8. Quick tips for changing dancers quickly ( thanks Pippa Woods – amazing work) stretch sticky bandage around the dancers heads underneath wigs, grips wigs well and keeps hair under control. Pre dressed wigs with the hair bands already sewn in.. a row of 10 mirrors set up with a little pot in front of each mirror meant that the dancers could do their own lipstick changes.
Posted: 3rd Sep 13